Developer/Software Engineer @ TXODDS Sport Betting Limited (June 2017 – )
- Development and maintenance of software to adquire betting information from bookmakers. (June 2017 – December 2017)
- Co-owner of the company’s StreamBase (SB) projects operations and of some projects. Designed and implemented a reorganization of our SB infrastructure, with the goal of increasing standardization between projects so that more time is spent on implementing business logic instead of boring and repetitive ops work.
- Co-owner of one of the flag products of the company, the Trader Feed. Responsible for keep it running, add new features, refactoring and releases (May 2018 -)
- Also co-owner/one of main dev of a bunch of other applications/tools including the ops side of them.
- Some management of 3/4 people.
Developer Intern @ Unbabel (June 2016 – September 2016)
- Built a file conversion software, using Python. Gained experience on XLIFF 1.2, lxml library of Python and unit testing. I’m pretty grateful for this experience since I’ve had the change see what the day-to-day of a YCombinator start-up is like.
Student Researcher @ BioFIG (now BioISI) (2013–2014)
- I’ve spent a year working on a project about Cystic Fibrosis, doing wet biology work on a Molecular Biology laboratory. This was due to a grant I’ve received from a partnership between University Of Lisbon and Amadeus Dias Foundation. On hindsight, and now having a software engineer mindset, I realize how boring and repetitive is to do biochemistry research.
Nowadays, I’m most competent in:
I already wrote code in a bunch of other languages. Take a look here.
- TIBCO StreamBase
- Elastic Stack
Songs For When – Developed as way to learn Django. A crowd-based music recommendations web application
pcrawler/lazy_passatempos – A contests (of the type you can win tickets for movies or concerts) aggregator. It crawls some Portuguese websites and present the contests on a webpage. Is a nice way to get some events tickets for free and without much work. Uses Flask and Scrapy.
SputnikArtistSearcher – Once again, because I’m lazy, I developed a tool to help me know new musical artists in a more efficient way. It was boring to go through lists of artists and having to skip every one that I’ve already listen to. First standalone project I’ve built in Java.
pybioportal – BioPortal offers an API that I needed to use during my Master Thesis. I was annoyed that there wasn’t any open-source Python binding around this API and that every developer/researcher was implementing it independently for herself. So I’ve built one.
You can check my GitHub for more.
Public Speaking and Related
- Gave a talk about my Master’s Thesis work @ Bioinformatics Open Days 2017
- I was part of the team who organized and gave a workshop on Biomedical Text Mining @ Bioinformatics Open Days 2017
- Machine Learning by Stanford University (Coursera)
- Introduction to Natural Language Processing by University of Michigan (Coursera)
- Bayesian Statistics: From Concept to Data Analysis by University of California, Santa Cruz (Coursera)
- Software Testing (Udacity)
- Software Debugging (Udacity)
- Hack Yourself First by Troy Hunt (Pluralsight)
- Getting Started with Jenkins 2 (Pluralsight)
Masters in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology @ Faculty of Sciences University of Lisbon (2015 – 2017)
- Average grade on the courses: 16.55/20 (highest average from my year).
- Thesis Grade: 20/20
- You can check my master thesis here (yes, I version-controlled my dissertation)
Bachelor in Biology @ Faculty of Sciences University of Lisbon (2012 – 2015)
- Average grade: 16/20
High School @ Escola Básica e Secundária Fernão do Pó do Bombarral (2009–2012)
- Took the more science oriented course. Average grade: 17/20
L. Campos, V. Pedro, and F. Couto, Impact of translation on named-entity recognition in radiology texts, Database, vol. 2017, no. bax064, pp. 1-9, 2017.
L. Campos, A. Lamurias, and F. Couto, Can the wisdom of the crowd be used to improve the creation of gold-standard for text mining applications?, in INForum – Simpósio de Informática, 2017.
F. Couto, L. Campos, and A. Lamurias, MER: a minimal named-entity recognition tagger and annotation server, in BioCreative V.5 Challenge Evaluation, 2017.
A. Lamurias, L. Campos, and F. Couto, IBEnt: Chemical entity mentions in patents using ChEBI, in BioCreative V.5 Challenge Evaluation, 2017.
L. Campos and F. Couto, MRA – proof of concept of a multilingual report annotator web application, Tech. Rep. arXiv:1704.01748 [cs.DL], arXiv.org, April 2017.