Developer at TXODDS (June 2017 – )
Development and maintenance of software to adquire betting information from bookmakers .
Lab work at BioFIG (now BioISI) (2013–2014)
I’ve spent a year working on a project about Cystic Fibrosis, doing wet biology work on a Molecular Biology laboratory. This was due to a grant I’ve received from a partnership between University Of Lisbon and Amadeus Dias Foundation.
Most competent in:
- Python, with some experience in Flask and Django;
- HTML/CSS – I spent a lot of hours on these but I do not consider myself a HTML/CSS guru. Some experience with Bootstrap;
- Matlab/Octave – Did Machine Learning Course using Octave;
- R – Did some data analysis during course work;
- Haskell – My first self-learned programming language;
- Java – Built a couple of apps, including one that I use daily;
- Android (I know its Java) – Experimented with it. Built super-simple app, that I use from time to time;
- Ruby – The first language I’ve used to built more complex applications, like a Chess Playing simulator;
- PHP – Did a project on Web Applications course;
- NetLogo – Did a project on Artificial Life course; I’ve used NetLogo to make a simulation of insects;
- Bash – I usually write scripts for stuff I needed and I also did some debugging on a Bash project;
- Golang – Beginner. Followed a book tutorial and wrote a little app similar to pcrawler (see Some Projects section);
Most of the projects referred here can be found on my GitHub.
Other Computer Skills:
- Cryptography – Have some knowledge from reading stuff online and Coursera course. Enough for having a useful intuition, I think;
- Machine Learning – Did an online course and won a small student competition. Another skill I would like to develop;
- NLP/Text Mining – My thesis involved studying and using some NLP and Text Mining, so I got some knowledge on that;
- Testing – I don’t sleep well at night if my code is not paired with some automatic testing;
Have knowledge in:
- Statistics – Although I do not have a lot of experience doing statistics, I have a good statistical intuition and it’s a skill I would like to develop;
- Biology and related – My bachelor was in Biology and so I studied a lot of Biology, including Biotech and Molecular Biology;
Songs For When – Developed as way to learn Django. A crowd-based music recommendations web application
pcrawler/lazy_passatempos – A contests (of the type you can win tickets for movies or concerts) aggregator. It crawls some Portuguese websites and present the contests on a webpage. Is a nice way to get some events tickets for free and without much work. Uses Flask and Scrapy.
SputnikArtistSearcher – Once again, because I’m lazy, I developed a tool to help me know new musical artists in a more efficient way. It was boring to go through lists of artists and having to skip every one that I’ve already listen to. First standalone project I’ve built in Java.
pybioportal – BioPortal offers an API that I needed to use during my Master Thesis. I was annoyed that there wasn’t any open-source Python binding around this API and that every developer/researcher was implementing it independently for herself. So I’ve built one.
You can check my GitHub for more.
Public Speaking and Related
- Gave a talk about my Master’s Thesis work @ Bioinformatics Open Days 2017
- I was part of the team who organized and gave a workshop on Biomedical Text Mining @ Bioinformatics Open Days 2017
- Machine Learning by Stanford University (Coursera)
- Introduction to Natural Language Processing by University of Michigan (Coursera)
- Bayesian Statistics: From Concept to Data Analysis by University of California, Santa Cruz (Coursera)
- Software Testing (Udacity)
- Software Debugging (Udacity)
- Hack Yourself First by Troy Hunt (Pluralsight)
Masters in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology – Faculty of Sciences University of Lisbon (2015 – present)
Average grade: 16.55/20 (highest average from my year). Currently working on my Master’s Thesis on “Semantic annotation of electronic health records in a multilingual environment”.
Bachelor in Biology – Faculty of Sciences University of Lisbon (2012 – 2015)
Average grade: 16/20
High School – Escola Básica e Secundária Fernão do Pó do Bombarral (2009–2012)
Took the more science oriented course. Average grade: 17/20
Web Summit 2016 – Live Team
- Shooting small videos with Startups.
Portuguese Vegetarian Association (2014 – 2015)
- During some time I was responsible for their email;
- Participated in pamphlets distributions;
- Helped to raise money in two events;
- Did some articles translations (English -> Portuguese)